Thursday, February 6, 2014

Petersburg MI Making a mantle

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
With the decision being made to make a new mantle, Ive taken 3 pieces of cherry and glued them together. Before I did that, I ran everything through the planer and joiner to get as good of a surface as possible for the glue bonds. Upon glueing, I clamped everything together and let set for 3 days. Below is a picture of the clamped piece.
After it has set, Ive removed the clamps, and went to work with the hand planer on the edges. Then, Ive given the top edge a nice decorative edge. This is the same edge I did on the bullnose for the countertop. Then I switched bits and gave the bottom edge a 1/2" roundover. Here are some pics of that.
Now its on to the staining and finishing part of the job!




TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment